Sunday, February 13, 2011

If Not Me, Then Who

“If not me, who? And if not now, when?”
Mikhail Gorbachev

My sister Leslie has been in the nursing field for over twenty years.  In that time she has performed at a very high level and has taken the lead in several initiatives within the hospital.
 
Over the past year she has had the opportunity to travel to various events on behalf of her union and her colleagues.    At one such event she noticed that while nurses in other ethnic groups were being singled out and honored for their significant contributions in the nursing field, recognition of the contributions and representation of black nurses was strangely absent.  Now I am not normally one to highlight a specific race as we are all part of the human race, however, I thought the actions taken by my sister needed to be called out and acknowledged.

One day while visiting her home she told me of her idea to hold an event that would not only support, but acknowledge the contributions of black nurses all through history and those being made by black nurses today.  I will never forget what she said to me, “I just want to make a difference.”   She saw a need and wanted to fill it.  The need fueled her passion and set a vision in place that came to fruition.

With no outside financial support, she invested her own money and organized the entire event, and you know what, she pulled it off!  I am so proud of her I am about to burst my buttons.
 
She did not wait for someone else to take the lead, “If not me, who?”   Now she could have easily said I would like to do it someday, but acted when she had the idea to make it happen.  “And if not now, when?”  Through an unwavering commitment and with the support of her family she was able to make a significant impact in the lives of those in attendance.  

As I looked into the audience I saw the faces of nurses who are proud to serve in a profession that helps so many in their road to recovery.  They take pride in their work and although it is not necessary for someone to pat them on the back, everyone wants to feel appreciated and acknowledged for the work they do.  My sister organized a forum in order to shine the light on the daily efforts of these unsung heroes.

This is a great example of one person wanting to make a difference and taking on the challenge.  She was not intimidated by how difficult it would be to put on such an event, she just did it.
 
The event was very successful and she cannot wait until she holds the next one next year.  Her dream is that the event will be larger than this year and in a bigger venue.  I have no doubt that she and those who support her vision will make it happen.

As I celebrate Black History Month, it is my dream that one day the efforts of one nurse, who happened to be black, will be recognized as one of the great achievements of her time.

If you have a dream or see a problem that needs to be taken on, ask yourself the question, if not me, then who?

No comments:

Post a Comment