Sunday, January 16, 2011

Celebrating Martin Luther King

“I Have a Dream.”   These famous words are from one of Martin Luther King’s most piercing and convicting speeches, and it is undoubtedly the most memorable.   The content of the speech still resonates within the hearts of men and women, black and white.  I believe the speech transcends race.

Martin Luther King remains the giant of the civil rights movement, and his life, values and commitment to equality continue to inspire millions.  He laid the foundation for so many to dare to dream and hope for a better future for their families.

As a little boy I have a vague recollection of his death.  All I really remember is my mother saying that they killed Martin!  I did't know what it meant.  I could recall the riots and the tears of people as they responded to the news of his tragic murder.  It wasn’t until I was much older that I realized and understood the magnitude of the event.   

For some at the time the dream died with Martin.  However, because of his vision and his leadership, others picked up where he left off and continued the struggle for equality.  I believe we still have a long way to go with regard to equality, but because of his leadership and sacrifice we are better off than when he died. 

On Monday, January 17th many in our nation will celebrate the life of Martin Luther King.  As I think about his life and his contribution to the civil rights movement, I will celebrate a man of vision, strength, love, patience, compassion and a love for God.  I want to celebrate his commitment to standing up for the rights of every man to be treated fairly, ethically, and with all of the dignity God created in every human being.  He believed that all people should be judged by who they are and what they do.

Because of his sacrifice I have been given so many opportunities to take advantage of all this great country has to offer.  I want to thank him for the fact that I do not have to drink from a “black only” fountain or go to a “black only” restroom.  The further removed we get from his life and times it is easy to forget what it was like to live in the sixties in America.  I do not ever want to forget.

There will never be another Martin Luther King and his life and legacy is worth celebrating!


No comments:

Post a Comment